P.O. Box 875638, Wasilla, Alaska 99687, USA

Kit #001, Fairchild model 71

CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS - PAGE 9


I drew this pattern for the wing intermediates off the plan side view and built them from Contrail strut stock, but thinner rod stock would actually look closer to scale:

Left wing and strut joins drying, right side already done. The wing spar holds the correct dihedral while the glue dries. The old Do-17 wing served as a test surface for the clear coating:

"It's a jungle out there!"
The elevator was glued to the horizontal stabilizer and allowed to dry. The horizontal stabilizer was glued to the bottom edge of the fin and allowed to dry while held between children's play blocks at 90°, then the tail assembly was joined to the fuselage, with an eye to leveling the horizontal tail with the wings. Rudder & elevator cables from stretched sprue and slightly over-size; still not very noticeable on the model once painted. Bare patches await the tail struts:

Remind me next time to hold these by a BOTTOM end and paint all of the tops blue, so I won't need to cut in those top ends blue with a brush against the yellow and red wing areas:

The engine casting was all brush painted, including the blue; tapered exhaust sections made from stretched sprue ends (most seaplanes were fitted with shorter pipes, but the photo I was working from showed these on NC10624 at the time:


Meanwhile, hand hole covers and bow bumpers were painted black, then "invisible thread" was used to rig the spreader bars

Now, Carmel Attard used a jig at this point to position his float struts. I used the float sheet 3-view to calculate that the outer 4 struts should be about 22mm long (a hair less for the aft pair...), cut them from strut stock, drilled the ends and installed wire pins, drilled their 4 attachment points on the fuselage (yes, should have been done long before...), Then went back to this wobbly set-up to thread it all together. With the tail supported on another block, after a few false starts, I finally got everything lined up & touched all the joints with some CA glue on a long stretched-sprue applicator (one of my most-used tools).

The middle "V" struts were added next, CA'd in place, then more invisible thread rigging... upper front braces...

... boarding steps, last-minute details and paint touch-ups...

That "inspection window" near the tail lift handle is a chunk of black decal:

And there you have it.

<< PREVIOUS PAGE
Khee-Kha homepage and ordering information | links page